Paper Mario Multiplayer v1.2 Release!
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

My multiplayer version of Paper Mario (N64). The PPF is for the (U) ROM.
If you are using Project 64 2.1 or later, the CPU mode needs to be set to 'Interpreter'.

Download

Version 1.2:
*Player two can run by holding Z
*Either player can hold R to lock the camera onto themselves
*Fixed graphical errors in PJ64 by disabling checksum

Version 1.1:
*Camera follows both players
*Player two can perform the partner's c-down action in the overworld

Version 1.0.1:
*Fixed bug where ending a battle as player two does not restore control to player one
*Readme more helpful regarding online play, removed buggy graphics plugin from included emulator

Version 1.0:
*Player two can control Mario's partner in the overworld

Version 0.1:
*Player two can control Mario's partner while in battle

Future Versions:
*Jump from a single A-button press rather than a rapid-fire
*Allow Mario's partner to interact with various game objects
*Fix for PJ64 2.1 and Wii WADs.
*Match camera zoom to Mario/Partner distance apart
*Let P2 use the partner-change menu
*Fix flying partners being able to fly through walls after performing a special action
(This post was last modified: 16-03-2018, 05:23 PM by Skeletons.)

8-directional movement on the overworld is working, though I need to adjust it for the camera rotation. Need to fix this plus a few bugs, get jumping working, then next release is ready.

Version 1.0 is up with major changes, see the main post.

1.0.1 is up with a couple of fixes. Haven't done the Wii channel just yet, I want to wait and see if any more serious bugs surface for a day or so.

Version 1.1 is up, the camera follows both players. Player two can also control the partner's overworld action with C-Down.

Someone has just let me know that Project 64 2.1 works if you set the CPU mode to interpreter.

Version 1.2 is up, hold Z to run and R to lock the camera.

Is this still being updated? I see you have or had many updates planned.

I too would hope this mod could be updated. I think as far as features go it is good. I have done a few playthroughs with some friends a year or so ago and they have all been fun! As I revisit the Paper Mario modding scene to play hacks like Master Quest and Pro Mode, I begin to wish that the multiplayer mod was compatible with those mods. I am unaware as to how possible it would actually be to integrate the second player/camera functionality into these rom hacks, I know that from the star rod patcher the modded paper Mario multiplayer rom has a different checksum value, which disallows it to work with the tool, which makes sense. Maybe one day we will be able to coop the excruciating battles of Master Quest.

I know he's most likely tied up with other projects, but it would be great to see some of the planned features get implemented. Not all of them are necessary anylonger now that we have angrylion and rdp dynarec in retroarch, like the fix for PJ64 2.1. Also there's really no need to implement letting P2 use the partner-change menu since you can just remap the buttons to the P2 controller in your emulator (could be nice for Wii WADs).
These are the ones that still would be nice to see in my opinion:
*Fix the more or less game-breaking bug when encountering the Duplighosts in Shiver Mountain and the camera is somewhere completely wrong making choosing a ghost borderline impossible because you can't see what you're doing.
*Jump from a single A-button press rather than a rapid-fire -> Sometimes jumps are really hard because of this with P2. Sure you can circumvent it by using the ability but it sort of ruins it.
*Allow Mario's partner to interact with various game objects
*Fix for Wii WADs and Wii U injection.
*Match camera zoom to Mario/Partner distance apart
*Fix flying partners being able to fly through walls after performing a special action
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 12:33 AM by BHero.)

Paper Mario Multiplayer v1.2 Release!