Mario Kart 64 Hacking General Discussion « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 »
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

I might try at some point. I'm working on a general n64 romhacking library to help with serializing/visualizing the graphical data (and other data, eventually). Right now the focus is on Ocarina of Time/Starfox 64, but when I finish with the library, I could apply it to MK64. There's a fair amount of documentation on MK64, and since there's already a level viewer, the effort of making an editor is very reasonable.

This'll be a few months down the line, I assume, but a MK64 level editor seems incredibly cool to me, so I'm definitely interested. Don't worry about compensation, when it comes around I wouldn't ask for more than beer money to keep development flowing ; )

Zoinkity was the person who supplied us with a list of all the decoded geometry commands, I really doubt zoinkity stole anything. Plus the rendering in those pictures doesn't look anything like our level viewer

​Edit: post(s) which this was a reply to are now deleted
Images for context:
http://i.imgur.com/uAV3A93.png
https://i.imgur.com/23NHqD5.png
http://i.imgur.com/HjJM5Ww.png
http://i.imgur.com/NQE9P0q.png
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2016, 06:28 AM by shygoo.)
My threads are now being maintained here

thats blender lol

That's really neato, looks like he fully exported the levels into Blender. Does he have his own thread somewhere that he's uploading this info to? Wouldn't mind peeking at that.

If Zoinkity ends up making a level editor, that'd save me a whole lot of trouble, lol. But if your fzerocentral link is right, maybe he won't.

Gidday everyone,

I stumbled across this thread while looking for details of an editor online. I hark from over at the ShootersForever forums and have done a bit of messing with MK64 but mainly only with the gameplay ASM-hack side of things (funny you should mention Zoinkity as he was a big help to myself also!).

As bgritt said, I'd also be interested in contributing towards someone investing their time in making a level editor (even if it's bare-bones to start with and could only do battle maps). In saying that: in theory all the information is out there, it's just a matter of assembling it together into a workable package...which happens to be well beyond my skills.

09: Coin 
(11-02-2016, 05:52 PM)mib_f8sm9c Wrote: I might try at some point. I'm working on a general n64 romhacking library to help with serializing/visualizing the graphical data (and other data, eventually). Right now the focus is on Ocarina of Time/Starfox 64, but when I finish with the library, I could apply it to MK64. There's a fair amount of documentation on MK64, and since there's already a level viewer, the effort of making an editor is very reasonable.

This'll be a few months down the line, I assume, but a MK64 level editor seems incredibly cool to me, so I'm definitely interested. Don't worry about compensation, when it comes around I wouldn't ask for more than beer money to keep development flowing ; )

Hey mib_f8sm9c, thanks for your response!  No problem we can definitely keep beer money coming your way during development.  A simple vs mode level editor would really be huge, and like I mentioned before even the ability to build a rom with walls removed on some levels would be huge as it would enable us to add a ton of variety to existing levels. I've been watching for years it would be awesome to finally see it happen.  If there's any donation amount that might make it easier for you to give more time to the project in the near future just let me know, I'll see if I can make it happen. Name your price friend.  Cool

Thanks!

Any news? I'm really excited about it
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2016, 12:49 PM by Bobibrown.)

(11-03-2016, 12:48 PM)Bobibrown Wrote: Any news? I'm really excited about it

Nope! I've been on a short hiatus the few weeks, having a real life sucks sometimes, but I think I'm gonna start on the second half of the Cereal64 project tonight. The first half was being able to read/parse/save 3d model data, the second half is rendering/converting that data. It's still a long ways off, and I promised some time to creating a texture replacer for Super Smash Bros 64 as well, but I'll slowly get there.

Don't expect anything for this within the next month or two, probably even three I'd say. There's a lot of work to do just to get rendering working, and that's discounting importing new data which is a whole other bag of worms to work out. That and I've got 4 different N64 games I want to work on... though I think this and Smash Bros are the more interesting of the group : )

Checking back in on this. My real life concerns are over, and I'm shifting back into development mode for the stupid number of modding tools I want to make. I've already put together the necessary OpenGL stuffs to display 3d objects with normals/textures, so in my head anyways I got the difficult part done. I've still got a long road before I get to Mario Kart 64, but I'm on the path. Here's the dev path I have before I get there:

-Make VisObj64 objects to hold 3d model data, an OpenGL control and camera class [DONE]
-Add F3DZEX->VisObj64 and VisObj64->.OBJ converters, make VisObj64 reference the F3DZEX data so backwards-editing will be possible
-Create a Microcode visualizer (display microcode data as visual blocks to simplify adding/moving/removing microcode data within a file)
-Write extra microcodes into Cereal64 [At this point, a level viewer should be possible for Mario Kart 64]
-Add .OBJ->VisObj64 and VisObj64->microcode converters, to allow importing data
-Write tools to read & manipulate games [Here's where the actual level editor would be started, though I have equal interest in Zelda & SSB & Starfox64 editors]

There's quite a bit left to do, and some of the VisObj64->Microcode code will probably be really messy, but I'm working on it.
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2016, 04:53 PM by mib_f8sm9c.)

(30-03-2016, 04:39 PM)mib_f8sm9c Wrote: -Make VisObj64 objects to hold 3d model data, an OpenGL control and camera class [DONE]
-Add F3DZEX->VisObj64 and VisObj64->.OBJ converters, make VisObj64 reference the F3DZEX data so backwards-editing will be possible
-Create a Microcode visualizer (display microcode data as visual blocks to simplify adding/moving/removing microcode data within a file)
-Write extra microcodes into Cereal64 [At this point, a level viewer should be possible for Mario Kart 64]
-Add .OBJ->VisObj64 and VisObj64->microcode converters, to allow importing data
-Write tools to read & manipulate games [Here's where the actual level editor would be started, though I have equal interest in Zelda & SSB & Starfox64 editors]

There's quite a bit left to do, and some of the VisObj64->Microcode code will probably be really messy, but I'm working on it.

This sounds like a solid plan. I think I'm working on a path very parallel to yours to create 3D contols for editing levels in the Blast Corps Editor (although it is F3D, not F3DEX). I'm currently using OpenTK on top of Windows Forms. Out of curiosity, what frameworks are you working with to accomplish this?

I am intrigued by your microcode visualizer idea. Do you have more detailed plans for this? Is this just to break down microcode into human readable descriptions or something that could render F3D blocks on the fly while editing?

If you haven't seen it already, you might be interested in looking at xdaniel's SceneNavi project, a level editor for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask written in C# using WinForms and OpenTK.

Mario Kart 64 Hacking General Discussion « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 »