Is it possible to change a characters voice? « 1 2
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Is there a way to change a bunch of sounds without the rom requiring the extra 4 MB of ram from the Expansion Pak to run? I'm asking this because I want to port my hack to Wii/Dolphin when it's finished because netplay with my friends is much easier and less prone to desyncs on Dolphin compared to Project64 and mupen64.

I can change the textures and the music and maybe 3 or 4 sounds and the rom will run just fine without the Expansion Pak turned on, and by extension that rom can be injected into a Mario Kart or Sin & Punishment WAD for Dolphin and work perfectly there. The problem is when I change more than 4 sounds, I get memory errors when I try to run the rom without the Expansion Pak and the sound effects are completely disabled, and then when I try to inject the rom into a Dolphin WAD there's no sound effects there either (I assume that's because none of the N64 games ported to VC besides Majora's Mask needed the Expansion Pak to run).

All my replacement sounds are saved as 22,050 Hz, 352 kbps, and smaller in memory size than the original files. So is there something wrong with how I'm saving my sounds? Or is the extra ram requirement just something that happens by default with the N64soundtool and can't really be changed?

Okay I tried rendering all my sounds at 26,800 Hz to match the original sound files and I still get this "PI_DMA_WRITE not in memory" error. Vinesauce Kart 65 runs without the Expansion Pak turned on, so I know it's possible to make a rom hack with all the voices replaced without requiring the Expansion Pak. I just have no idea what I could be doing wrong. Do I need to mess with the loop predictors too?

I think that means your sound data is way too large. I'm pretty sure sounds are much lower frequency than the master rate (26,800 hz).

Well I tried lowering the frequency of my sounds all the way down to 11,000 Hz and I still get the same memory error when I change all the voice files of just 1 character on a rom that doesn't have any other changes on it.

Is it possible to change a characters voice? « 1 2