SM64DS Multiplayer 1.2.1 Release!
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

13: Heart 
Probably not the kind of multiplayer people expected, but anyhow, here it is! Full-game SM64DS in multiplayer, the catch being that it must be played on the one DS system. Unfortunately, there is currently no means to debug DS wireless communications, so that is out of the question unfortunately. Anyhow, I think I've done quite a good job of making the controls feel natural, so I think people will get a fair bit of fun out of this one way or another.

Download 1.2.1

Version 1.2.1:
*Fixed flashcard compatibility

Version 1.2:
*All camera modes work properly

Version 1.1:
*Fixed throwing Bowser
*Can ground pound while flying
*Camera follows both players while swimming and flying
*Underwater shells are grabbed automatically and released with L/R
*Fixed Player 2 spawn overlapping Player 1 in certain stages
*All rooms are always visible (i.e. Inside Castle, Big Boo's Haunt)
*Fixed duplicate messages after collecting stars
*Fixed grabbing keys for Player 2
*Fixed controllers sometimes switching (hopefully)
*Doors and star doors work for Player 2

Version 1.0:
*Initial release
*Credit to Quasmok for the game icon
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 11:44 PM by Skeletons.)

Updated to 1.2 with camera improvements.

Nice seeing that this is still getting attention! Gonna try this now and see how it works. Maybe I'll even fire it up on the Wii U since using the gamepad as a shared controller would at least make sharing a bit easier I believe.

Also, I wish debugging for DS wireless communications would become available since there are so many great things that could be achieved.

Edit: So far testing it with desmume it works good. Only problem I have is that I can't move the aim of Player 2 while in a cannon. I'll check how it is when playing with a real DS.

Seems like I have no way of booting this on an original console since neither my CycloDS, Acekard 2i, with or without twilightmenu++, will go past the choose save file screen.

Nope I wasn't able to get it to inject it in my Wii U, either. I guess DeSmuMe is the only alternative until I get a supercard dstwo.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2019, 07:35 PM by BHero.)

(04-05-2019, 12:34 PM)BHero Wrote: Nice seeing that this is still getting attention! Gonna try this now and see how it works. Maybe I'll even fire it up on the Wii U since using the gamepad as a shared controller would at least make sharing a bit easier I believe.

Also, I wish debugging for DS wireless communications would become available since there are so many great things that could be achieved.

Edit: So far testing it with desmume it works good. Only problem I have is that I can't move the aim of Player 2 while in a cannon. I'll check how it is when playing with a real DS.

Seems like I have no way of booting this on an original console since neither my CycloDS, Acekard 2i, with or without twilightmenu++, will go past the choose save file screen.

Nope I wasn't able to get it to inject it in my Wii U, either. I guess DeSmuMe is the only alternative until I get a supercard dstwo.

Fixed, new link above.

Great! I'll try it immediately!

Edit: Tried it and it worked on my A2i now! I wasn't able to get it working on the CycloDS, but I don't really care either. I don't think many people would use it anyways.

Using the cannon with player two still seems to be an issue, however I was able to move P2's aim by holding a direction for P1 before and during the time the cannon was aiming, but it only lasted for a while until the camera would cut to P1's position. Anyways, I guess having only P1 use the cannon isn't much of a problem anyways. If not I guess you could maybe do like with the secret teleport in bob-omb battlefield and make both players teleport to the cannon or have them both being fired out at the same time where P1 is aiming.

Great job and great that you fixed it this quickly!

Edit2: I've played a bit around and tested it, mostly while playing with the camera fixed on one player. I thought I'd share something I found that isn't necessarily a bug or problem but in case someone else encounters it I'll share what I found out. Basically while playing in Jolly Roger Bay I found that if you enter the cave area with the treasure chests after having swum through the underwater passageway, when you reach the water surface you'll still be swimming if you only entered this place with 1 of the players and left the other one where you spawn. This got solved when I got there with two players (which was not easy being only one person..). So this isn't really a problem since usually you wouldn't be playing this mod as 1 player anyways and the problem is likely to come from the fact that the second area isn't loaded properly. I checked and it happened both in desmume and using flashcard. Here are some images.
Spoiler :
[Image: EQFkXpm.png]

Spoiler :
[Image: 15p0307.png]
Another thing I believe I've noticed is that the air meter when you're underwater reduces more quickly compared to when you normally play, though I guess it makes sense since you can also get coins quicker being two people.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019, 05:32 PM by BHero.)

I discovered that if you unlock Mario (and probably other characters as well) you should only enter and change into them with Player 1. If you do it with Player 2 the game will glitch out with either one of them or both of them clipping and being locked inside the room Mario was locked inside. Also, if you switch to Mario with player 1 you will only switch into him when you load into another room, like for example when you go back into the main hall from the room where you can change into characters.

Again these aren't game breaking bugs, but just something you should be aware of when playing.

Here's a save state:

​https://filebin.net/7gr90ftn3fhcgxut/SM64DS_Multiplayer_1.2.1.ds1?t=2nw9earz

Edit: I was able to discover another problem which is more important. Basically when doing "slip slidin' away" in cool cool mountain the star will not activate. I've done the slide with both 1 and 2 Marios (don't ask me how I managed that alone). I've attached another save state to where I have finished the slide with both Marios. I did it without the shortcut through the wall though with the one bouncing off to the left on the first jump, landing on some coins not to die.

​https://filebin.net/7gr90ftn3fhcgxut/SM64DS_Multiplayer_1.2.1.ds4?t=2nw9earz

Anyways, I hope I'm not coming off as nagging with these reports of mine. I'm really thankful for your time and effort put into this patch. I figured I would just report what I find along the way so it's at least documented.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019, 06:56 PM by BHero.)

SM64DS Multiplayer 1.2.1 Release!