[NSMB] Editing Mario's head and cap
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

A problem regarding NSMBDS Hacking.

There's a lot of *.bin files in the \player folder of NSMB, but I'm now only talking about these two: "mario_model_LZ.bin", which contains the body of Mario, and "mario_head_cap_LZ.bin" which only contains Mario's head and cap (you don't say).

When looking at the bitmaps and palettes inside "mario_model_LZ.bin", you'll see this:

​Image

These are all Mario's costumes. In order: Normal-Fire-unused-Starman.

I can just export these bitmaps as one big image, edit it in some image editing program, and import it back in NSMB without any problems. However, when I try to edit "mario_head_cap_LZ.bin", I can only see three bitmaps for Mario's blinking, and this:

​Image

There's only one palette for this image, and that's the one for "normal" Mario. I can't find the white Fireman-cap.

When editing this bitmap - I just tried to recolour Mario's hat, it'll be changed to this colour in-game, but as soon as you grab a Fire Flower, Mario's head and cap will glitch (this "glitch" will disappear again when becoming normal Mario once again).

​Image

It also happens when I only edit "mario_head_cap_LZ.bin" (and not "mario_model_LZ.bin"), so the problem must be in the head-cap model. However I really wouldn't know how to fix this, since I seem not to be able to access the palette (and maybe bitmap also) of Fire Mario.

EDIT: Images wouldn't load for some reason, so I've put links to the images instead.
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2017, 01:10 PM by KingYoshi. Edit Reason: Images wouldn't load for some reason, so I've put links to the images instead. )

According to ray in one of his posts on NSMBHD, the palette for fire mario's cap/head is stored in mario's body. Link to post: https://nsmbhd.net/thread/799-asmb-adventure-super-mario-bros/?from=240#18787
This is my signature

So basically, Mario's cap/head has one bitmap and two palettes (one for normal and one for fire). The bitmap and the first palette are stored in "mario_head_cap_LZ.bin" and the Fire-cap palette is in "mario_model_LZ.bin". The Fire-cap and the Fire Flower suit probably share the same palette.

Shit! This is not a good thing. Whenever I replace a bitmap, the palette will change and all colours will be at different places than where they used to be. How could I possibly edit Mario's fire suit and Mario's cap and head then?

Since "mario_head_cap_LZ.bin" and "mario_model_LZ.bin" are different NSBMD files, I can't open them in one window, export them all as one image and replace all bitmaps at once. If that'd be possible, there'd be no problem. Undecided

EDIT: I did some testing and - while it's still possible the Fire-cap palette is somewhere in Mario's body, it's defenitely not the palette of Mario's Fire suit.
(This post was last modified: 31-07-2017, 10:05 AM by KingYoshi.)

I'm afraid I can't help you for that. I myself decided to stay away from charachter editing because of how complicated it is.
This is my signature

(30-07-2017, 04:36 PM)Poudink Wrote: According to ray in one of his posts on NSMBHD, the palette for fire mario's cap/head is stored in mario's body. Link to post: https://nsmbhd.net/thread/799-asmb-adventure-super-mario-bros/?from=240#18787

So appearently, ray had got the wrong end of the stick. The normal-cap palette seems to be a 512-colour palette, and the first 256 colours are for the normal cap, while the later 256 colours are for the fire-cap. So basically, it's one palette that exists of two.

It's a lot like some enemies' models, like Cheep Cheep/Deep Cheep, and the Hammer/Fire/Boomerang Bros. They also share one bitmap and a palette that contains two or three "sub-palettes".

How would he have managed a non-glitchy toad model then?
This is my signature

(22-08-2017, 07:32 PM)Poudink Wrote: How would he have managed a non-glitchy toad model then?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[NSMB] Editing Mario's head and cap