MarioKart 64 Modification Help
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

06: Mario Upset 
Hi Everybody,

I am working on a project where I'd like to take simulated values of 0s and 1s and use it as a controller input on the Raspberry Pi.

The overall goal is to reduce the speed of the main player by "hitting the breaks" with the simulated controller. I also considered reading this in using the assembly file and mapping directly to speeds but I do not know if that would work. If anyone has any feedback/tips/ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

(31-10-2017, 04:48 PM)mk64 Wrote: Hi Everybody,

I am working on a project where I'd like to take simulated values of 0s and 1s and use it as a controller input on the Raspberry Pi.

The overall goal is to reduce the speed of the main player by "hitting the breaks" with the simulated controller. I also considered reading this in using the assembly file and mapping directly to speeds but I do not know if that would work. If anyone has any feedback/tips/ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

Ooh. Well, It's certainly not impossible, difficult, more difficult that what I can handle? yes, but certainly not impossible. As of right now, Mario Kart 64 hacking hasn't even gotten out of the infant stage, but I can supply you with some tools that can help out. http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=126 can do the job, but I'm pretty sure that if you used a PC, a debugger could do the job. BizHawk is a good emulator with a debug system. I'm pretty intrested in what your doing here, but don't 100% understand what your doing xD. Anyways, good luck!

Are you wanting to make the brakes always pressed? Or map the brakes to an extra analog input (ie taking P2's controller input and using it on P1)? Not sure what you mean by simulated controller. Either of those things are probably possible a little assembly edit though.
My threads are now being maintained here

(02-11-2017, 01:22 AM)shygoo Wrote: Are you wanting to make the brakes always pressed? Or map the brakes to an extra analog input (ie taking P2's controller input and using it on P1)? Not sure what you mean by simulated controller. Either of those things are probably possible a little assembly edit though.

Yes that's basically what I want to do where player 2 is signals that acts like pressing the brakes on a controller and hits player 1. Do you think it would be necessary to install additional software or could I just map them via a method similar to mario kart 1500cc?

(01-11-2017, 11:48 PM)Knucklesfan Wrote:
(31-10-2017, 04:48 PM)mk64 Wrote:
Hi Everybody,

Ooh. Well, It's certainly not impossible, difficult, more difficult that what I can handle? yes, but certainly not impossible. As of right now, Mario Kart 64 hacking hasn't even gotten out of the infant stage, but I can supply you with some tools that can help out. http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=126 can do the job, but I'm pretty sure that if you used a PC, a debugger could do the job. BizHawk is a good emulator with a debug system. I'm pretty intrested in what your doing here, but don't 100% understand what your doing xD. Anyways, good luck!

Thank you! I will take a look at these tools they seem very helpful for some additional things I'm interested in trying in the future. Basically I just want to read data on player 1 and have it affect the game positively by less breaking and negatively by more breaking.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 09:26 PM by mk64.)

That seems totally doable all with an assembly patch without extra software, as long as the emulator's input plugin/system lets you map one device's input to both P1 and P2 (if you wanted it to be all on one controller).
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 10:34 PM by shygoo.)
My threads are now being maintained here

MarioKart 64 Modification Help