Reasons not to use SMWC. 1 2 3 4 »
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Since SMWC deems it appropriate to have a thread dedicated to bashing me/other SM64 hackers/Origami64 with many exaggerated and false claims, I thought I'd create something of a similar nature - minus the inaccuracies and exaggeration. Anyhow, a list of reasons not to use SMWC if you are intending to hack SM64, hopefully this helps people realize It's time to move on:

​1. Major contributors such as myself, Kaze, MrGreenThunder, Tarek are banned and/or ostracized from the community for what began as very petty, unwarranted reasons. None of us would have bothered to damage our relations with SMWC to this extent, had SMWC provided an organized and non-hostile platform for discussion of SM64 hacking.

​2. Moderation is awful - in the short duration that Cpuhacka101 and I were moderating the SM64 forum, we decided to clean up dozens of completely pointless help threads which provided no meaningful information. We were berated and scolded like children on the staff forum for our decision, and ultimately all the threads were restored. History repeated itself with the next moderator, Shygoo, who attempted to delete about 10 duplicate threads and worthless posts which were all later restored.

​3. Their staff and users are constantly berating members of the SM64 community with an ongoing prejudice that we're all morons, then gets pissy when anyone lashes back at them about it. Before I finally gave them an excuse to shit talk me (albeit a very irrational and intolerant one), they were already doing it anyway - hence my total loss of respect for most of their staff and members, along with all the other reasons piled up.

​4. They believe they are entitled to keep all of your content and hard work even if you revoke their permission to host it. Various people such as myself, MrGreenThunder, Tarek and Shygoo have attempted to remove our posts and/or submissions from the site only to be told we can't do that and have them restored.

​5. There is absolutely no room for diversity of opinion on this site. If you stand against the narrative, even with ultimately the same goal in mind - which is to achieve what's best for everyone - prepare to be ostracized, personally insulted, lied about, and banned. I was permanently banned from their chat room for simply joining and answering a political question somebody had asked me upon entering. There are plenty of communities which invite open political discussions without the preemption of becoming extremely hostile and personally insulting, Origami64 being one such site. SMWC, not so much. I attempted to reason with them for a couple of days following my unwarranted ban, but I was still met with more personal insults and poor moderation policy, so I'm not pulling punches anymore.

​6. It's a big liberal circlejerk of hate and violence, I don't see any other ROM hacking forums where it's considered normal and acceptable to speak this way.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=664]

Below this point I've included the somewhat less-objective points.

​7. The site layout is ugly, the forum software is extremely obsolete (you can't even recover a lost password) and full of security holes, and the site owner is constantly plastering strange pony fan art everywhere. We get it, you're a 30 year old virgin, I don't need to be reminded every day while I'm browsing SM64 hacks. We all have our hobbies, but you don't see me shoving skeleton memes in your face on every page of Origami64, I don't know any other serious site owner who does this.

​8. Their community is supporting a known pedophile who will remain un-named (though I honestly doubt he's the only one - glances at site owner). A member of Origami64 had a clash with said individual, and guess who the SMWC community supported? That's right, not the 15-year-old Origami64 user, but the mentally disturbed pedophile.

If anyone wishes to contribute to this list, be my guest. By now, I know that a large portion of the SM64 community has some sort of SMWC horror story to tell.

Edit (28/11/2016):
I'd also like to further address the common criticisms about myself and other O64 users being racist, misogynistic, transphobic etc.
Our staff team already consists of two non-Caucasian individuals, despite our forum's relatively small size, and we also have a large number of regular members belonging to various minority groups. In fact, I believe our non-Caucasian ratio is unusually high in comparison to other ROM hacking forums, some of whom I know for a fact are against the BLM group's actions, as I personally am (another of these people being transsexual for that matter).

This criticism tends to stem from the belief that, by disagreeing with their means of achieving happiness for everyone (no, not just white cis-hets), we are somehow horrible and hateful toward minority groups. This is simply unture, and things that I/other people have said are often misquoted and exaggerated to portray us as some kind of Nazis.

I personally have worked as a volunteer teacher for refugees, am currently doing more volunteer/charity work, and next year starting my new job as a teacher + IT support - just to name a few of the reasons I don't really fit the bill as a hateful individual.

This is not to suggest that all users agree on the political matters we discuss - the point is that people who disagree and we debate with are not berated and/or banned for their beliefs, we're able to freely discuss these subjects without resorting to name-calling and such - a number of our members are certainly more liberal than others. It should also be noted that not every single liberal agrees with the actions of groups like BLM, just as every conservative doesn't necessarily disagree.
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2016, 12:12 AM by Skeletons.)

Attached Files    

Another good reason why you shouldn't use SMW Central is because they have a stupid password recovery process.

For one, most people wont even bother to go through this stupid process just to get a request for a password reset. This can also lead to accounts getting hacked. It would be way easier just to get a email to reset your password like Origami64 does. Its really stupid just to think that. Even Supermariosan100 has lost his password on this site shown in the screenshot below :

This is why you don't use SMW Central, Their password recovery is stupid, so you could probably loss your account at any moment.
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2016, 04:36 PM by Skeletons. Edit Reason: just removed some spaces )
A SM64 Hacking Weeb

Another reason is that if you want any resources you can get it without signing up. And if you want to contribute resources, you have no reason to. Origami 64 has plenty of threads where you can help contribute to actual decent people instead of the scumbags over at SMWCentral.

I agree with point 1 many people from the sm64 hacking place shouldn't be banned. They are important as they provide us useful information.

I had to actually add one of the administrators on Skype just to have my password reset.
It's ridiculous and should be shut down. Not to mention the forum always get's cluttered with help me threads when they don't bother to delete them.

-Shitty people
-Shitty layout
-Shitty rules
-Non working password reset
And more.

Avoid SMWC at all costs. It's not worth your time.

*sigh* I feel like throwing up in real life.

I have to agree with Skelux point right here. Here's the fact or opinion: When you're coding a PHP forum yourself, you can easily get hacked at any time and that's just full of garbage. What going to happen is, when the owner tries to be sneaky and try to do the coding of "IP address grabbers and steals the password" to scramble it. This is completely absolutely  humiliating that I don't understand these people try to destroy our accounts and most of all, they'll know your password on "YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and any kind of shit. Even though, I'm permabanned for being imbecile and having two accounts in the first place.

Thank you for your service, SMWC.

(27-11-2016, 12:02 AM)supermariosan100 Wrote:
I had to actually add one of the administrators on Skype just to have my password reset.
It's ridiculous and should be shut down. Not to mention the forum always get's cluttered with help me threads when they don't bother to delete them.

-Shitty people
-Shitty layout
-Shitty rules
-Non working password reset
And more.

Avoid SMWC at all costs. It's not worth your time.

That's completely absolutely bullshit. It doesn't mean that It needs to be shut down, It means they're bunch of cringy admins and staff. So they always tried to dispose your ass off the site and that's not how it works, Period.

supermariosan100, that's very clear that I've been banned for backseat mod shit for various times. Some newbie idiots don't know how to post SM64 help stuff in the SM64 Q&A help thread. That's just ridiculous.
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2016, 05:01 AM by SmithJrBlaquaLuigi.)
I'm not replying to your Damn Thread if nobody understands what you're saying.

This post has been sent from Microsoft Surface Pro Windows 10

Also anyone wanting to know who is the owner of SMW Central, here is the link to their profile | https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=5
A SM64 Hacking Weeb

*sigh* Seriously? I'll quote Alcaro on this one. Look at the thread for more info.

Alcaro Wrote:
(This is a reply to the first post, I suspect half of it has already been posted)

Because their users keep causing trouble. Examples:

​This guy wiped a fairly large file storage
​This guy decided to spam my PM box
​This guy decided to ban half of the user list
​This guy tried to post 'le memez' in every single thread in the SM64 forum (I deleted the posts without saving a screenshot, I could poke an admin if it's important)
Smasherx74 Wrote:
Please troll until you are banned

We don't mind SM64 or SM64 hackers in general, but people who cause that much trouble get banned.

e: reworded a bit, added fifth example

Look, SMWC has its flaws, sure, but complaining about being banned for "stupid reasons" is not a valid statement. Even I, who generally likes to see some users get unbanned and being given second chances have my limits. It's wrong to say that the entirety of O64 is crap, because it isn't, most of it isn't. I see lots of people here with great hacking skills, seriously. But the loudest often get heard the most and stereotypes happen, just like you guys are doing using Leomon's example. He has been warned and tempbanned multiple times (and I still don't like when users get too aggressive towards others on some situations), some other people that posted in that politics thread are in favor of Trump weren't banned or warned, it's just being plain insensitive that will get you banned.

Another thing is that, when your most important people are out there doing dumb stuff, they end up representing O64 in a way even if you don't want to. Mods speak officially for the forum after all, that's called responsibility for having such "freedom of speech". Sometimes the userbase gets in disagreement with the staff on SMWC too because of various things, it happens, every userbase has its flaws. Ersanio has tried various times to get users to resolve conflicts privately instead of making it public and "fishing for replies", the staff frequently mentions the button at the bottom of the page for feedback about the staff (you can only see when you're logged in) and they oftenly despise people who keep having an aggressive tone towards others.

One thing I'll say is unfair is that you guys created a thread dissing SMWC before we did this to you, and you guys made people troll over there, and you still think you have the right to treat SMWC like it is the devil? Please. The community isn't perfect, but it's been getting better. Arguing like this helps no one in the end.

And before you go "KIERAN IS A BRONY FAG OMG" look at his posts closer when the FTP server was wiped. People did complain about getting off-topic and to not attribute the actions of certain specific people to an entire community, but when you do things like this it's not easy. Other good SM64 hackers are there and they seem to be doing fine. Why can't you guys?

What do I expect from this post, honestly? Memes, jokes, people calling me bullshit, etc. But I write here nonetheless in the rare case maybe it actually helps something.

And Skelux, I honestly expected a bit more from you. I remember you from the (now unavailable due to Nintendo being derps) interview AttackingTucans/TylerSederwall did with you after he LP'd Star Road. I remember they playing the co-op SM64, one of the funniest LPs I've seen. I seriously had no grudge against you, but I can't see this thread as anything other than a vast over-exaggeration of what happened over on SMWC, while interestingly enough called them for amplifying things and you being telling the truth. Users be users and some will rush to conclusions, but none of the staff on SMWC jumped to conclusions about O64 as far as I can tell (feel free to correct me on any of this, if you actually have good proof) and they all tried to be at least a little mature. In the meantime, I don't need to say how that definitely isn't happening over here...

It's kinda late and I don't have time to keep proof-reading this, but I think the general concept is there on the post.

(28-11-2016, 12:42 AM)RanAS Wrote: *sigh* Seriously? I'll quote Alcaro on this one. Look at the thread for more info.

Alcaro Wrote:
(This is a reply to the first post, I suspect half of it has already been posted)

Because their users keep causing trouble. Examples:

​This guy wiped a fairly large file storage
​This guy decided to spam my PM box
​This guy decided to ban half of the user list
​This guy tried to post 'le memez' in every single thread in the SM64 forum (I deleted the posts without saving a screenshot, I could poke an admin if it's important)

I deliberately ran a script that would get me banned because I was fed up with mistreatment by the SMWC users and staff, also to my own staff and users, and did not want people to think I was active there anymore (which I am not). It was also a pretty harmless means of self-banning if you ask me.

(28-11-2016, 12:42 AM)RanAS Wrote:
it's just being plain insensitive that will get you banned.

I've made it clear numerous times that I am completely in favor of protecting and accommodating for minorities, but the people on SMWC are so blinded by extreme-leftist hysteria that they completely ignore these kinds of statements. I also notice people often misquoting me and making me out to be some kind of nazi.

One thing I'll say is unfair is that you guys created a thread dissing SMWC before we did this to you

I literally said in the opening sentence, that is not the case.

People did complain about getting off-topic and to not attribute the actions of certain specific people to an entire community

And yet, you're all fine with Leod shit-talking me, spreading lies about things I've said, banning me. You guys single me out heaps, and not just me.

The end result is, no matter how many times I and other people try to reason with SMWC over various issues, it never gets us anywhere. Criticism is very due by this stage.
(This post was last modified: 28-11-2016, 06:06 AM by Skeletons.)

Reasons not to use SMWC. 1 2 3 4 »